A bachelor’s life can be rewarding and punishing at the same time.
Whether you’re a student living away from home for the first time or working your way up the corporate ladder without any family support, here are 20 lifehacks for bachelors living on a budget –
- A lot of your earnings gets spent on food. You can set up a food budget to stick to for every month. (Pssst…Indulging in a scrumptious dessert once in a while isn’t a crime!).
2. Plan your meals ahead. Prepare meals in advance on the weekends and keep them in air-tight containers in the fridge. Meal planning goes a long way for living on a budget.
3. If you live close to to your workplace, ride a bicycle to work. It’s good for your health and your budget!
4. Transportation services like Uber, Ola and Lyft allow carpooling. Use this system to commute to work and save money on individual rides.
5. Your rent already takes out a big chunk from your monthly expenses. Save on living expenses by being mindful of electricity use. Turn off appliances and other items when not in use.
6. Oh no! Half of your salary evaporated by the 5th of the month and there are those damn cleaning supplies you need to keep your house from looking like a garbage dump. To avoid situations like these, plan ahead and maintain a savings account for emergencies.
7. Game of Thrones and Friends keeping you from being bored to death? Trial subscriptions to HBO, Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix will help you cut down the cable bill.
8. Itching to watch that new installment of your fav movie franchise? Watch a movie during the weekdays to avoid high ticket prices of weekends.
9. Low on funds? Use those creative juices to set up your own Etsy shop and earn big bucks by selling internationally.
10. Living on a budget is difficult but you should never compromise on your health. Routine checkups should be planned in advance to avoid a hole in your pocket.
11. Coffee addict with an affinity to Starbucks? Go for their membership discounts (Swagbucks) or eliminate caffeine totally. Instead, take a Vit B12 pill for all-day energy.
12. A fitness freak does not live on a budget. But when he’s living as a bachelor, it’s a good idea to buy home workout equipment.
13. Magazines, care packages can be cut down if possible. Try reducing or canceling subscriptions which are not absolutely required.
14. Yes, I know you love shopping! But are you wondering how are you going to pay off that enormous credit card debt? Instead, wait for 21 days before making a big purchase. This way, you’ll be able to determine whether you really need that 55-inch flat screen or not!
15. Everyone is bound to make mistakes. But to escape being overcharged by your bank, carefully study your credit card statements.
16. I know a nightcap sounds awesome after a hectic day. But alcohol can increase your living expenses. Avoid smoking and drinking to cut down on your costs.
17. If you have your own vehicle, get it insured. You’ll avoid any accidental damages and also you can avail any driver discounts (if applicable).
18. Nowadays, many apps offer you deals and loyalty rewards. Avail these discounts to save on your monthly shopping.
19. A refrigerator keeps your food and drinks fresh for a long time. To cut down on energy costs, always keep your fridge at full capacity.
20. Ugh! It’s Christmas again. You’re happy of course, but you fear you’ll blow your budget on shopping gifts for the endless number of cousins. A good away to avoid drowning in debt is to buy gifts in advance at the various sales throughout the year.
Well, I hope you have an idea of how to live frugally by now. Be mindful and soon, you’ll earn enough to live a kingly life!
And if you wanna live in an awesome fully furnished flat with roomies without paying any brokerage, check out our properties in Pune!
Let me know what you think in our comments section below.